Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pourquoi tu rigoles?

Me getting my giggle on in Paris, 2009

Pourquoi tu rigoles? Aka: Why are you laughing? A question that is asked of me at least on a daily, if not hourly basis. This is another one of those stereotypes that we learn about in French class in the USA--the French need a reason to smile and even more of a reason to laugh.

Unfortunately for me, I am a gigglebox.

This means that I frequently confuse and amuse my roommates and anyone else I meet who isn't from the US. What is even more frustrating for me is the fact that I have no idea how to explain why I am laughing. Usually it's because I see something that makes me think of something else, which makes me laugh or smile. So I've, for the most part, resorted to just telling people that I laugh because I'm American for lack of a better explanation or time to attempt a translation.

One thing is certain, if I don't try to get a grip on this goofy little habit of mine, the entire population of Nice will surely think that I am completely insane by the end of my stay here.

Love <3

Ann

2 comments:

  1. That's funny because I was just reading a book by Chuck Klosterman (my favorite), and he was describing this same thing. He said when he's in Europe, he will laugh or chuckle during conversation at times that would be totally appropriate for American conversation, but in Europe, everyone is more stoic (unless something REALLY cracks them up) and looks at him strangely for the laughing. Interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahaha adorable post. can't wait to partayy with you tomorrow, i love having someone to giggle with (okay, i tend to guffaw or snort, frankly) all night long!

    ReplyDelete