Friday, May 29, 2009

A little about the people so far

So...I've noticed some changes in the way people interact right off the bat. Nobody on the metro really looks at eachother when they get on and nobody strikes up random conversation. Also, nobody really looks at eachother in the street to smile or say hello or anything like that...unless they run into you in which case they say "pardon" and that's about it. The only exception to this rule is man/woman interactions on the street. Men here gawk...a ton. And Natalie? You were right. The second it hits dark it's a whole different story. Men on the street during the day are pleasant enough and are nice...they still gawk but they don't say anything to you. Men at night, however gawk, stare, smile, wink, and cat call. The men here are just way more forward than the ones at home--especially the ones in MN. I haven't decided yet if it's a good thing.

I went to a play last night and understood most of it, which was cool. My host mom gave me free tickets but I couldn't find anyone to go with me on such short notice so I just went alone. It was about a guy who finds out he has a rare disease and he reflects on his life and starts to appreciate the things he was taking for granted like his wife and kids...pretty run of the mill stuff if you ask me but it was a one-man show and wasn't very long. It's nice to just hear French and see things like that for the sake of doing them in my opinion. All in all, a good experience!

I'm picking up on the French spoken in my family pretty well...The dad speaks really fast but I catch most if not all of it. He thinks I don't understand him because I'm so ADD that I start looking around when he's speaking...whoops. I gotta fix that. The kids are adorable. The middle girl Estelle and I read books and played I Spy the other night. I can tell she likes having visiting students in the house. She's really outgoing for an 8-year old! We were also playing a little game sort of like a madgab where you say your favorite animal, food, color, and number and then make up a little story such as "have you ever seen a blue monkey eating chicken soup with 87 hands?"...silly. But the dad came in as she was asking my favorite number and he said "oh you know the favorite number of adults" and i said "comment?" and he said "69!" Bahaha. It was hilarious...and the little girl was like "dad, why 69? Why 69?!" and he just kinda ignored it. I wonder how many times stuff like that happened to me when I was little. :-D


Ta for now!

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff. Your host dad sounds funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is funny. And I have some pictures of my room, but no computer so you may have to wait til i come back to see them. :-)
    miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete