Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Host family!

So after much confusion, I arrived at my host family's place without a scratch...
I received a call from IES on Saturday saying so I had to scramble around a little bit to contact my new falily ASAP and to learn how to get to their house, etc. It all turned out fine though. My room is completely disconnected from the family's apartment which is this awesomely huge and beautiful place. They have almost a whole floor of an apartment building in the 17th and it's just gorgeous. The parents, M and Mme Persiaux are musicians; he plays violin and she the piano. They have three kids, all girls: Diane-12, Estelle-8, and Elise-6. The kids all play instruments too! Estelle just made it into a music conservatory for cello, Diane plays piano, and Elise the violin. The younger two played for me as their mom accompanied me and it was super cute. You can tell they like playing for new people.

Back to my room. Technically it's a maid's quarters so it's super small but there's a full bed, a TV, and a shower with the toilets down the hall. It's just my own little escape which I'm sure will be necessary from time to time.

For dinner, the parents were both gone so the kids made, believe it or not, chicken nuggets and canned corn. Sound familiar anyone? In addition, the show on the television as we ate was The Simpsons. And they were watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer before that. I guess the technology age is sweeping the globe because the 12-year old has a facebook and the dad thought I was crazy for not bringing my laptop.

Anyways...I start orientation tomorrow and should think about heading to bed. This morning I slept through my alarm so I figure I should probably try to go to sleep early so that doesn't happen on an actually important day. Bonne Soiree!


Ann

1 comment: