Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Nice: Finding Lodging, Exploration

I was actually really lucky to have a safe, comfortable place to stay while I searched for my apartment. Sophie and Raphael were so accommodating and wonderful--I almost felt like I was taking advantage of their hospitality.

I was also very lucky to have found an apartment so quickly! I am living with two Algerian lawyers who are studying/working in Nice. Farouk is 32, plays the guitar, and is really laid back and fun. Nazim is more high-strung (but still very very nice), obsessed with Michael Jackson, and loves to dance. I fit right in! Additionally, they cook for me (while wearing an apron which is adorable) and do the dishes. Fantastic.

I quickly found a few of the other assistants by a keen use of Facebook and my prompt purchase of a phone in Paris. I began hanging out with Molly, an American from the Chicago area, and Katie, an English girl from Newcastle. Our days have been filled to the brim with going to the beach, swimming, using the diving mask that they found in their apartment, walking around, and going out in the evenings. Not a bad way to spend the days before we start working! After spending my time in Paris and now living in Nice I have come to the conclusion that I need to buy a lighter. This is not because I am planning on starting to smoke, but rather because I am asked at least 2-3X/day whether or not I have "du feu" ie: a light.

Over the last week our posse has grown as more and more people arrive and buy phones. It has been great having this time before work starts to get to know each other and have a little fun while we're at it!

I don't have any photos of the people I have met or my roommates, but here are a few touristy photos I took while walking around Nice. Enjoy!
This is my attempt at being artsy. I thought these dudes on the bench, gazing out at the sea looked interesting
Pretty soaps at the outdoor market in the Cours Saleya
Nice from "Le Chateau"
The port side of Nice
Flowers at the market

1 comment: