Sunday, October 30, 2011

Already behind!

Many, oh so many things have happened in the last month! I went through some anxiety-inducing training, orientation, started teaching, and took a week-long vacation to Vienna! singin' with the roomie at the pub ------->

Other than my kids talking about my booty behind my back and me having to remind them that I understand what they're saying, the teaching part has been fine. My students range from ages 17-23, which was a happy surprise for me! The reason some of them are so much older is because there is an option in France to complete a 2-year degree, but there are no community colleges. Therefore, the classes are held on high school campuses. After which they can be completely finished or they can decide to go to the university for one year to finish the French equivalent of a bachelor's degree--here it's called a "license" and it's a 3-year program. Since most of my students in this program (it is called BTS) are studying commerce, finance, marketing, etc. they are very interested in participating and learning English. The high school seniors are pretty hit and miss. But that's ok...I hope to have made some sort of difference by the time the year is up!

Living in Nice has been quite the adventure, too. It's so easy to be hanging out just chit chatting with the roomies, look down, and realize that it's 2am. Or to go out with friends to a bar, look at your phone and realize it's 4am. Luckily, the city isn't very big and I never go out alone, so the walk home is never too daunting. The city really has two faces though: day-time Nice at night time Nice.

Day time Nice is a place of wonderful open-air markets, beach-side strolls, and cafe culture complete with sunshine and little to no risk of danger.

Night time Nice is a whole different ball park. It is sketchy, dangerous, hooker-laden, and not a place to find yourself alone. I was out with my roommate and saw a fight (ironically in front of the courthouse) of 15 vs. 15--throwing punches, throwing bottles, not caring that there were other people around. It was insanity. The cops showed up by car, on foot, on segway, sprayed some sort of tear gas or pepper spray, and arrested two bloodied-up hooligans. I also know at least two or three other assistants who have been physically assaulted at night because they decided to talk back to the men hassling them. I know this will alarm anyone back home reading, but I'd rather tell the good with the bad and not paint Nice as some sort of idyllic, sleepy, sea-side town. It definitely has a hard edge that people planning a visit, or even people daydreaming of how wonderful it is here, should be aware of. The best thing to do is go out in a group, leave when there's trouble a-brewin', and ignore the cat callers.

Also, a note to anyone reading this, The G-20 is in Cannes in the next few days, but the rioters are coming to Nice. I'm really not planning on being out much...but if you see craziness on the news don't freak out. If I see craziness on the news, I promise I will call home immediately.

Next post will be all about Vienna :-)

Biz just so you do know it is beautiful and not all scary ---->

2 comments:

  1. I saw some pictures of the devastating flooding in Italy last week and again today. At least two of the villages in the Cinque Terre were completely destroyed last week - Monterosso and Vernazza. We stayed in Monterosso and it's heartbreaking to see the destruction. Today Genoa was struck with crazy flash floods. So I'll rescind my previous "you HAVE to go to the cinque terre" recommendation.

    On a happier note, it's fun to read about all your adventures! My wanderlust is living vicariously through you :) Enjoy your travels and stay safe during Night Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had made tentative plans to visit with a friend, but obviously now it's not going to happen. I can't believe the photos/videos that are popping up of the destruction there--one of the cities, I think Monterosso, had to be evacuated by sea because it was inaccessible by any other mode of transportation. Just awful. And now we are starting to have some flooding in PACA--mostly Marseille...hopefully the rain lets up enough for both France and Italy to attempt some damage control...but I suppose there really is no way to prepare for 20 inches of rain in one day.

    ReplyDelete